What is a Free Store?
A free store is a “store” where all goods are free. Whether it is a book, furniture, a shirt, or a haircut, it is all freely given away. It’s a place where anyone can participate by leaving stuff they don’t want or taking stuff they do. No strings attached. The items in the store are either given as gifts to the free store or found in the streets.
Mutual aid is the voluntary exchange of resources and services. Instead of looking to corporations or the state, we can look to one another for what we need. This practice has existed for thousands of years in many societies. Capitalism creates a false sense of scarcity by placing monetary value on everything from the environment to human life, in order to build wealth. Mutual aid focuses on building community wealth, and not only in terms of material gain. Mutual aid places value on a large spectrum, not just on monetary or material goods. Mutual aid creates cooperation instead of competition.
– All hygiene/toiletry items must be sealed in original packaging
– No used undergarments/underwear
– No ripped or torn clothes
– When taking clothes turn in all hangers to free store volunteers
– Please wash clothing items prior to drop off
– When dropping off clothes please place items on the porch so they can be sorted through and placed in proper bins
– Bring your own bags. We may have some but it’s not guaranteed
If you plan on dropping off items prior to the event please call The Peace House to set up a time 202-248-430
For more from: The Peace House DC